What You Need To join us ...
- You have graduated, or will graduate this year from a British University or College of Higher Education with a minimum 2:2 honours degree, preference is given to candidates with a 2:1 or higher. This includes overseas students with a qualification recognised as equivalent to a British honours degree in the above mentioned classifications
- On application you hold at least Grade C in GCSE English Language, Mathematics and Science gained prior to application. Other qualifications may be considered for equivalency
- Candidates should have some experience of UK schools / Early Years settings to become familiar with the atmosphere and demands of 3 - 7 year olds
- Have a broad-based educational background and be able to read effectively and communicate clearly in standard English
- All applicants are required to have passed the Professional Skills Tests prior to commencement of training
- The UCAS form requires candidates to provide the details of two referees. If candidates have studied within the last 5 years, an academic reference must be provided. Ideally, candidates should choose someone who can comment on your character and suitability to enter the teaching profession. The other reference should be a school or employer's reference. Please be aware that if references are not appropriate, they may delay the processing of your application
How we select our trainees?
Teaching is demanding but extremely rewarding. It requires teachers who have a range of skills, knowledge, experience and aptitudes and we look for these qualities in our applicants. Our selection process is demanding - we are seeking real talent and commitment. The University of Warwick screen applications to ensure that academic qualifications and experiences fulfil government requirements for funding, our school scrutinise applications.
What we are looking for?
Schools in our Alliance are seeking to select and train teachers for their schools in the future and teachers who will become school leaders. So, they are interested in people who …..
- have a moral commitment to ensuring that students they teach achieve academic and personal success that enables them to widen their life chances and to be full members of their communities
- seek to reduce inequality in the lives of young people
- are passionate about the subject they apply to teach and about the learning of children, themselves and other professionals
- bring their own life experiences and wisdom to enrich children's lives whilst being committed to learning from others. Have demonstrated their commitment to young people through voluntary or work experience
- are committed to ALL the children in our schools and to teaching in a system that values diversity whilst recognising that for students to benefit from it we need to work hard and intelligently
- have excellent communication skills (verbal and non verbal)
- have emotional resilience and be resilient problem-solvers who take responsibility for their own learning and who have demonstrated a real passion for teaching
- have the ability to form good and effective relationships
- have reflective qualities
- have an awareness of current issues in education
- have an energy and a sense of humour
How To Apply
Remember this will be your opportunity to tell us why you want to teach and why you want to do it with us. Make it clear what your beliefs and aspirations are in the personal statement on the UCAS application and what experiences you have working with children and how this has impacted on you and your thinking.
Apply for your place with us through the UCAS site HERE, then select, ‘Find a training programme starting in 2017’. Add ‘Derby Early Years Teaching School’ into the search for a training provider box. Derby Early Years Teaching School Alliance will then show in the drop down and you can select it. You can submit your application from 27th October through the UCAS site.
This LINK will also support you with an overview of the application process, online resources and information and support for interested candidates.
This LINK will take you to the professional skills test and information on how to complete this prior to interview.
If this has not answered one of your questions, please see our Frequently Asked Questions, alternatively please get in contact with Laura Baddiley at Harrington Nursery School. 01332 769821 / email@example.com