£340 or £425 if not buy into NEEDU @ the Hub
(£30 per half day and £60 per full day for any additional person)
The Phonics Package aims to support schools in order to:
- increase the percentage of children passing the Phonics Screen
- improve medium and long-term attainment in literacy
- improve short-term attainment with Communication and Language.
This will be done by asking schools to focus on pre-conditional speech and language and other, developmental skills which allow children to successfully engage with phonics teaching and learning activities regardless of the phonics programme being used.
The Phonics Package is aimed at FS1 and FS2 practitioners, EYFS and Literacy Leaders. Practitioners working with older children where there is a higher level of literacy need may also wish to attend.
The Phonics Package will be made up of a combination of training and in-school support. Practitioners will also be asked to complete a Pre-Conditional Skills Checklist with all of the children they work with. Along with the training and support visit, this will allow schools to make informed decisions about what the developmentally appropriate next-steps are for each child are, and look at how to address and differentiate these needs across the cohort. Practical solutions will focus on creating opportunities for skill development within the environment, interactions, making the most of incidental opportunities along with planned activities for skill development.
The Phonics Package will involve:
1 full day plus 6 half day training sessions
- An initial full-day training sessions to look closely at the pre-conditional skills children need and to introduce the Pre-Conditional Skills Checklist
- A half-day session looking at the pedagogy of this approach. One session will be held for FS1 practitioners who will need to use this approach with ALL children as they prepare the children to formally learn written language. A separate half-day session will be held for FS2 practitioners or those working with older children who will still need to consider this approach for all, but who will need to balance this with moving some children on whilst needing to back-track and create earlier opportunities for others. This approach may also help FS2 practitioners find reasons and solutions for children who find the acquisition of literacy more difficult than expected. EYFS and Literacy Leads may wish to attend both
- Three half-day morning training sessions for all practitioners, each taking a couple of pre-conditional skills, looking at these skills more closely, and most importantly offering practical solutions for facilitating these skills within the environment, interactions, planned and incidental learning opportunities in order to embed and maximize phonics teaching and learning
- Two half day afternoon training sessions for all practitioners focusing on the 7 aspects as outlined in Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds: i.e. the importance of Phonological Awareness and Phonemic skills that enable children to make good progress in phonics. The sessions will examine the skills, knowledge and pedagogy of the 7 aspects and include teaching ideas to support each of these
In addition, your school could buy a half-day support visit at a charge. Prior to the visit, the Pre-Conditional Skills Checklists for the cohort will be analysed in order to make the visit as focused as possible. Afterwards, a Pre-Conditional Skills Action Plan will be written, detailing and affirming current good practice and also highlighting next-steps. It will also help to confirm more significant skill gaps for individual or groups of children and offer next-steps. Please get in touch to discuss this further if you are interested.
For more information or to buy the early phonics package please fill in the form below or contact Laura Baddiley - 01332 769821 / firstname.lastname@example.org